We have developed a highly flexible system for mapping financial data to external systems. This article aims to work as a starting point for understanding how this system works, as well as a shortcut to deeper-dive articles on more in-depth topics.
- Gather related financial data into "GL Mappings"
- "Map" the "GL Mappings" to your specific accounts
- Allow this data to be reported on in a, thorough yet digestible, way
- Share this information (safely) with your accountant and/or financial system
Gather related financial data into "GL Mappings"
Our Standard Accounting Integration providers a curated set of GL Mappings that are sufficient for most retail operations.
Following our article, Generate Standard GL Mapping Query Filters, our standard templates will be expanded upon to allow you to specify mappings on a per Payment Type, per Retail Category, and per Location basis. For more information, please see Understanding the Standard Accounting Integration.
If the out-of-the-box mappings don't solve your needs, please check out information on Creating Custom GL Mapping Query Filters.
"Map" the "GL Mappings" to your specific accounts
Once the GL Mappings are defined, you can use our article, Assign Account Details to GL Mapping Query Filters, to start associating your specific account-related data.
TIP: If you are not the book keeper for your company, we'd strongly suggest working with them so that each GL Mapping is properly assigned an account number according to your finaicial system's chart of accounts.
Allow this data to be reported on in a, thorough yet digestible, way
The main interface into this data from within Cloud Retailer is the General Ledger Report. This report will show the Debits & Credits by GL Mapping for the specified time period (and filters). This report also serves as the main jumping point for exporting the data.
Share this information (safely) with your accountant and/or financial system
There are 3 basic ways financial information can be shared from Cloud Retailer:
- Direct online integration, such as QuickBooks Online
These are fairly seamless, API-based, data exchanges that must be pre-approved within your financial software and can be accessed via the main General Ledger Report.
- Export to a file that can be given to your accountant or imported into your financial software
This option provides a set of formats available for export from within the main General Ledger Report. You can export a copy of the on-screen data in a format that can be imported into your financial system or handed over to your accountant.
- Background/timed export process using file generation/exchange
This option is somewhat a hybrid of 1 & 2. It uses the file definitions that can be exported from the General Ledger Report but automates the process of exporting the file and then transmitting that file to an external location. This process is currently custom to set up and will incur a nominal charge for our support team to configure and maintain.
For a list of officially supported interfaces, see: Accounting Systems Supported by the Cloud Retailer Accounting Integration
- Understanding the Standing Accounting Integration
- Generate Standard GL Mapping Query Filters
- Creating Custom GL Mapping Query Filters
- Assign Account Details to GL Mapping Query Filters
- Accounting Systems Supported by the Cloud Retailer Accounting Integration